From the Artist's Desk: Mari Prothero

6:24:00 PM
I know what you're thinking- this is not necessarily a graphic. But it's my blog and I can do what I want, right? This moment reminds me of Lady Gaga deciding to wear two crowns at the same time during a Born This Way Ball show, saying it was "her show".

I have been reading a book titled Home from the Sea, by Mercedes Lackey. The main character, Mari Prothero, has magical water powers. I just love the idea of having powers, and it makes great inspiration for art. This piece of art comes right off the cover of the book. For some reason it compelled me to draw. So, for the first time ever, I creating a digital illustration colored with digital Copics. I was super excited to find out that Autodesk has a version of Sketchbook with Copics! Copics are very expensive art markers, commonly used to color in illustrations. I discovered them months ago and just fell in love. Fortunately, it's free to download Autodesk Sketchbook Copics Edition! While your choice of colors is limited, you don't have to buy the expensive markers. You can get it here. I used Photoshop Elements to draw the picture. I selected a very rough pencil from the dry media brush set.

Overall I am pleased with the outcome. This is one of those things that will get better over time. Seeing the fully colored image is so rewarding! I hope you enjoy this piece.


Would you like to see more From the Artist's Desk posts in the future? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.